The Towns and Cities
of Northern Ontario
Alban Ontario - in Ontario's Rainbow
The present day
village of Alban Ontario was originally known as Rutter, after the
railway station built in 1907. Later it was renamed after a local
minister the Rev, Alban Filiatrault.
While the area was important as a
"highway" west for centuries, the area was not settled until the railway
brought people into the area for logging.
Timber cutting, logging and lumber mills
sprang up in the area in 1873 after the fire of Chicago in 1871. Logs
could be floated the French River and the Wahnipitae Rivers on their way
south. The industry did well until the 1930's. Today the town of Alban
and the surrounding French River area depend much on tourism.