Vacationing Close to Home
Vacations right at home
So you've decided to stay right in your
own home for this year's vacation. Cool... imagine this one....
- The maid takes care of everything.
- The phone never rings.
- Long lazy afternoons lying under a
tree, a tall glass of something cool by your side, book in hand.
- Early morning fishing on mist filled
lakes being serenaded by loons.
- Meals served by charming people.
- Evenings around a camp fire roasting
marshmallows and singing songs.
- Trying something new like horseback
riding, photography, archery, or oil painting.
- Attending a music festival.
- Going canoeing.
It's all too easy!
First clean the house and yard a bit, pay
the bills, buy lots of yummy foods, and take your list of "projects to
do this summer" and bury it in the back yard.
nothing normal or dull.
- Call a maid service and have
one in each day of your vacation for an hour. Much, much less than
hotel costs with all the same benefits and luxury.
- Turn the phone off! I do so
every day around 4:00 pm and all weekend long. Trust me, you'll
love it once the shock is over.
- Your back yard is easy to get
to, make it pleasant and get lazy. It's not great you say? Hummm,
plant a few things, you might end up with a new hobby, or put in a
pond, a small one can be had for less than 200.00. Still cheap
compared to normal vacation costs and now available for your enjoyment
all year round. Even the smallest back yard can be a source of "mini
vacations" all summer long.
- Buy a fire pit or old used
fireplace and have fires in the back yard. As long as they are
enclosed and tended you're probably fine. (check with local laws)
Living in town means few mosquitoes, a great benefit of vacationing at
home! And so much more fun than watching reruns on TV.
Early morning fishing on mist
filled lakes... we do live in Northern Ontario, I don't even
have to go into that one.
- Eat out a lot. Every day. If
money is tight make it breakfast. Sleep in late. For just a few
dollars you can have breakfast out until 11:00 in most restaurants and
still get their morning special prices. You'll not be eating lunch
since you ate so late and now only have one meal to cook today. If
that's out on the grill and you're using paper plates life just got
- Try new things.
- Horseback riding is getting easier
to find all the time.
- Photographic clubs offer meetings,
and help, and sometime courses.
- Many rod and gun clubs or
sportsmen's clubs have archery sections. Call one and ask.
- Call a local artist or group and ask
about lessons in drawing or painting.
- Take dance lessons.
- Visit astrology groups.
- Join clubs that are hosting events.
- Rent an ATV and ride the trails now
open to quads in many places.
- Rent a canoe.
- Take a hike.
- Explore shops in town you've never
stopped at before.
The great part about this sort of thing
is since you're doing it from home these services, clubs, and activities
are available all year if you find you love them!
Don't hesitate to send us your
suggestions to add to this list.