Trilliums in Northern Ontario
Northern Ontario




Tourist and Traveler Information for Ontario

Customs Information and Immigrations Laws

American visitors crossing the border, either way, may be asked for ID and to verify their citizenship. You may use such things as a passport, birth certificate, baptismal certificate, naturalization certificate, or Receipt Card (Green Card).

Citizens of other countries, except Greenland and residents of St-Pierre and Miquelon must have a valid passport and some may also require a visitor's pass. Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian or have a letter of permission from same to travel in Canada.

You are allowed to bring a "reasonable" amount of personal effects, food and gasoline. Anything considered "unreasonable" will be subject to duty fees.


You can bring gifts into Canada for friends or family living here, duty free, as long as the value of each gifts does not exceed $60.00 CAN and they do not consist of tobacco products, alcohol, or advertising material. Gifts over the $60.00 limit will be charged duty on the excess amount.

Alcoholic Beverages

Visitors to Canada over the age of 19 may bring with them, for personal use, either 40 oz of liquor or wine; or 24 12 oz cans or bottles of beer, ale or their equivalent.  You can bring up to 11.9 US gallons with you if you are willing to pay the Ontario fees and taxes in addition to duties that apply.


Visitors who are 19 years or over may import, duty and tax free, 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 14 oz of tobacco, and 200 tobacco sticks. Visitors bringing more will have to pay the Ontario taxes and duties that apply.

Firearms and Ammunition

As a rule, prohibited or restricted weapons are not allowed in Canada. You may however, bring a hunting rifle or shotgun into Ontario for hunting or competition purposed if you are 18 years old or older. You may also add 200 rounds of ammunition for hunting, or 1,500 rounds for use at a recognized meet.

Firearms manufactured as fully automatic are prohibited entry, regardless of any conversion and no firearms less than 26 inches in length or with a barrel less than 18 inches are allowed, unless they are being imported for an approved shoot, at which temporary permit is required in advance from a local police agency. Basically, no handguns! Mace/stunguns and other weapons are also prohibited.

Pets & Plants

All animals are subject to veterinary inspection on arrival in Canada. If evidence or suspicion of disease is found, the animals may be refused entry into the country.

Dogs and domestic cats from the United States will need certification, signed by a licensed veterinarian, that they have been vaccinated against rabies during the preceding 36 month period. 

Birds may be brought into Canada provided they have an signed certificate from a licensed veterinarian stating that the bird has been inspected within the last week and is free of disease.

Visitors from other countries should contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency to find out their requirements.

Permission is required to import plants to Canada, with the exception of house plants for the US. On entering Canada, all plants and plant material must be declared to the Customs personnel.

The Health of Animals Branch, Canada Department of Agriculture


The Health of Animals Branch, Canada Department of Agriculture

Canada Customs Services (Revenue Canada)

Service is available in English or French

Chief Provincial Firearms Office of Ontario

Canadian Food Inspection Agency

All information on this web site was accurate at the time of writing. Laws change. The information contained here is meant only to be a casual introduction to the laws and requirements to enter Canada and should not be considered the final word in accuracy. Please call one of the following governmental agencies for additional information before trying to enter the country.


| Join | About | Using & Privacy Policy | Homepage |


Thanks to the team at for the building and hosting of this website.