Trilliums in Northern Ontario
Northern Ontario





Tourist and Traveler Information for Ontario

Miscellaneous Information

Hospital and Medical Services

Visitors are strongly urged to obtain health insurance before leaving their country. It is possible that your health insurance does not extend coverage outside of your country of residence. Check with your insurance company before your trip. If you are taking medicine prescribed by your doctor, bring an adequate supply in the original bottles and a copy of the prescription if there is a chance you will have to renew it here. Your travel agent also may be able to supply additional information.


Public holidays in Ontario include: New Year's Day, Good Friday, Victoria Day (May 24 or the preceding Monday), Canada Day (July 1), Civic Holiday (first Monday in August), Labour Day (first Monday in September), Thanksgiving (second Monday in October), Christmas Day, and Boxing Day.

Liquor Laws

Anyone 19 or over may buy and consume liquor, wine, or beer. These are available from government stores or agencies throughout the province.

Licensed premises may serve alcohol from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. In Ontario it is an offense to consume alcohol in other than a residence or a licensed premise. Please note, driving any motorized vehicle, including boats, while impaired is illegal in Ontario.

Sales Tax Refunds

Visitors from outside Canada my claim a GST (Federal Goods & Services Tax- 7%) refund on eligible purchases. The minimum claim is $200.00 before taxes, the goods must be taken out of Canada within 60 days, and the claim must be made within one year of purchase. GST rebates are also available on purchases of accommodation or vacation packages that include accommodation of less than 30 days in length.

For more information  contact
Revenue Canada, Visitor Rebate Program


Via rail links most of the major cities in the province and connects with Amtrak and other US rail lines at many border crossings. The Algoma Central Railway offers a tour of Agawa Canyon north of and the Ontario Northland Railway will take you from Cochrane to the coast of James Bay on the Polar Bear Express. Links to this information may be found in the appropriate area of this site.


Pleasure craft may enter Canada by trailer or under their own power. The required entry permit is issued by Customs at the point of entry. All boats powered by motors 10 hp or over must be licensed and the license number clearly indicated on both sides of the bow. Boat licenses from outside Ontario are acceptable. Overboard discharge of garbage or untreated sewage is forbidden.

Crown Land Camping

Non-residents of Canada, 18 years or older, are required to obtain a permit to camp on Crown Lands. The applies to the area north of the French and Mattawa rivers, from the northwestern to the northeastern borders of Ontario. These permits are available from most angling license issuers and from the Ministry of Natural Resources District Offices throughout Northern Ontario.

Ministry of Natural Resources

Credit Cards

American Express, MasterCard, Visa, Diners Card, Carte Blanche, and many others are welcome at most Canadian businesses.


All information on this web site was accurate at the time of writing. Laws change. The information contained here is meant only to be a casual introduction to the laws and requirements to enter Canada and should not be considered the final word in accuracy. Please call one of the following governmental agencies for additional information before trying to enter the country.


Back to Top

| Join | About | Using & Privacy Policy | Homepage |


Thanks to the team at for the building and hosting of this website.